Commission Project: 1/48 X-Wing Starfighter

August 02, 2016

It's been six months since i've accepted this project and today I can officially put this one to a close. This is my first attempt at a Bandai made Star Wars model, but given the very good feedback about em', I was pretty excited to see what this new line of kits has to offer.

 So regarding the build, the client wanted an out of the box paint job with minimal weathering (man I wanted to go all out). In the end I  kind of stuck with the model's original color scheme but with slight additions of my own. For example; a darker shade of colors and extra color seperation to begin with so it wont have as much plain coverage. 

I tried my best to contain the weathering even if i was dying to go crazy, many painted X-Wings are usually hella weathered but my instructions were clear: "..like it flew out to battle once" How would I know what it would look like after 1 flight?? Guess I just had to wing it (X Wing it hehe).




I'm pretty happy with how this turned out and just to give you an idea on how it looked before I started, here's a bunch. It's like fresh canvas ready for painting only it's not.




As I also mentioned in the FB page, the highlight of this kit was its internals. Yep pre assembled mech and wirings which should relieve you of the hassle if you planned on installing LEDs on your kit much more the mechanical feature which allows the wings to open with the push of a button! (hands down on that one)



Honestly this is my first completed miniature, that's why i'm so proud of this one right here. Yes I do build gundam kits and yes they do have miniatures, but no.. I always struggled with them and I hated it for awhile until I realised it's something I can actually pull off. That's the beauty of commissions; you'll end up going out of your comfort zone sooner or later.



Hahahaha no I did not stop there.


Pilot in cockpit.


And finally after all my blabbering.. here is the finished build! Worked my way from post shading, to micro chipping, panel washes and pastels. Placed the weathering in the most possible and logical areas (for me) and from afar, the kit doesn't seem to look that weathered.  Happy? Very.









The streaking is one of my favourite weathering techniques and I was able to apply it all around this model. Being an aircraft, it's common to see this being used a lot.







The LED just looks stunning! So the kit is composed of 6 LEDs; 4 for the thrusters, 1 for the pilot's monitor and 1 for the missiles. (?) not sure about that though.





I don't know what that is. Oil? Rust? I'll leave it to you to decide what it is hahaha


Ohh LED monitor, nice touch. Too bad I wasn't able to take a shot of the last LED placement which is for the missile effect which only lights up for a second when you press its button.






And that concludes this commissioned project. I hope that the client would be as satisfied as I am. 
Anyway, thank you for passing by again to check out this completed project (finally its been awhile) If you want to see the unboxing of the kit just click down here 

Thank you again for taking the time to check all this out, comments, suggestions and a simple share will be appreciated.
Till next time!

You Might Also Like

0 comments